Cream of Wheat Pancakes w/Lemon Curd & Hot Fruit Sauce
Pancakes (Makes 5 large or 10 medium pancakes):
- In a medium bowl combine the following and mix well:
- 1/2 c. organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. spelt flour
- 1/4 c. almond meal
- (or just use 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 c. instant cream of wheat cereal, dry
- 1 Tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Hot Fruit Sauce:
- Combine 1/2 c. organic sugar and 2 Tablespoons cornstarch in a saucepan
- Stir in 1 cup water
- Heat over medium, stirring as it thickens
- Add 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries, a pinch of salt and a splash of lemon juice
- Cook till thick, mash the fruit. Turn heat to very low
- About 15 minutes before serving, stir in 1 cup of raspberries and do not mash
- In a medium saucepan combine:
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 3-4 lemons, depending on size
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Heat over medium till butter is melted and mixture begins to bubble around the edges.
- Separate 5 eggs and reserve the whites for another use. (I use 1/4 c. of the whites in the pancakes in place of a whole egg)
- Put the yolks in a heat-proof bowl, like a glass 4-cup measure, mix them up well
- Temper the egg yolks by slowly drizzling the hot sugar mixture into the yolks while stirring constantly and vigorously.
- After you have all the sugar mixture poured into the yolks then pour the whole thing back into the pan and continue to heat, stirring gently but constantly, until the curd thickens.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, pour into a storage container and refrigerate overnight. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
TO SERVE...put a pancake on a plate, spread with lemon curd, cover with another pancake and ladle some strawberry-raspberry sauce over the top. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and bananas if desired. Serve with bacon or sausage and fresh squeezed juice.